The FInES Research Roadmap Task Force, launched within the FInES Cluster, has started its activities aimed at producing the new FInES Research Roadmap representing a new version of last year's document. This is an important (and challenging!) scientific activity that will involve all the partners of the Cluster and the community at large. During the summer break, we started the production of the first draft B1 (named B1, since it is in Beta stage, adopting a typical software production practice to name ‘beta’ the pre-release stage of a product) and you are now invited to participate in the first Cluster Consultation Campaign.
The objective of FInES RR, as you surely know, is to identify the Research Challenges that will be assumed as a reference indication for the future activities of the FInES Cluster. Given the ambitious objective, it is paramount important that we achieve the largest possible involvement of the Cluster projects, and of the FInES community at large.
This is the first Cluster Contribution Campaign that addresses the key content of the first draft of the FInES RR. The organization of the FInES RR has been based on 4 Knowledge Spaces: (i) socio-economic, (ii) enterprise, (iii) enterprise systems – FInES, and (iv) enabling technologies. The 4 Knowledge Spaces correspond to the 4 central chapters of the document that we are submitting to the consultation. The table of contents is reported below.
The consultation will take place over the Web, accessing a distinct online form for each chapter. The expected time required to fill a form will be approximately 15 minutes if you limit your action to the voting (voting is mandatory to submit the form).
The 4 forms have different content but the same layout. In each form you will find the following sections:
- The text of the chapter, articulated in sections, with supporting bibliographic references. Then, for each section:
- A voting pane, where you can express your agreement or disagreement on each section (there is a grading scale from 1: low to 5: high level of agreement);
- A box of text to comment and support your vote;
- A box of text where you can add your preferred bibliographic references not present in the form.
In addition to the brief text (about 3 pages) of the chapter, there is a list of keywords representing topics that may be expanded in the next iteration (please recall that a successive FInES RR draft, version B2, is expected by February 2012, after a larger consultation based on the roadmapping methodology) Then the form will present:
- A list of topics that are suggested for expansion in the next phase
- A voting grid to allow you to express your opinion on the relevance of the suggested topics (again with a range from 1: non relevant, to 5: very relevant)
- A text box where you can suggest topics that are not reported in the list but are relevant for FInES.
For your convenience, you also have pointers to a PDF version of each chapter.
FInES Research Roadmap – Draft B1
Table of Contents
1. A Vision on the Socio-economic Space in 2020+
1.1. The need for a socio-economic discontinuity
1.2. Different growths for wealth and well-being in reduced economic expansion
1.3. Towards a totally connected Society
1.4. Innovation in a Knowledge-based Society
1.5. Some related topics
2. The Future of Enterprises
2.1. The Grand Objectives of the Future Internet-based Enterprises
2.2. The Operational Dimension
2.3. Supporting the advent of the Future Internet-based Enterprises
2.4. Some related topics
3. The Research Challenges of Future Internet Enterprise Systems
3.1. The Knowledge Dimension
3.2. The Operational Dimension of a FInES
3.3. The Engineering Dimension of FInES
3.4. Some related topics
4. Technology: the most important factor of economic growth
4.1. Future Networking
4.2. Future Knowledge technologies
4.3. Future application technologies and complex systems engineering
4.4. Future computation and storage technologies
4.5. Natural interaction
4.6. Some related topics